Come join the International Education Programs!

Thursday, May 16, 2013

Honor Roll Speech



The speech with my great pleasure

To be honest, I did not expect I can be an honor student at all. Indeed, I like to apply myself to study English, but I always felt inferior in my classes. So, when I got an invitation to do a speech from my teacher, I was surprised and so glad because only a few students were given the invitation. Then, I was willing to accept that.

Already, eight months have passed since I came here, to America. During that time I have had a lot of experience I never expected. Fortunately, I could make more friends, and I am spending more fantastic times than I expected before. To give a speech at honor roll lunch was also kind of the experience like that.

First of all, I was planning to talk about my major; linguistics and how important for many of us to learn English as second language. But I changed my topic after I talked to my mother about I was selected to be a speaker as one of the honors of winter 2013. That’s because she was really overjoyed more than me when I told her about that, and she reminded me what I had believed until I came here. Therefore, I decided to talk about my life from two years ago; when my family and I faced with a Great East Japan Earthquake, to today. I really wanted to thank my parents and say how happy I am now for the speech.

May 8 at 12:00pm, IEP teachers and honor students came together in a banquet room to eat a special lunch. And while I was encouraged by my friends, I gave a speech. Actually it was first time for me to feel comfortable even I am not good at talking in front of people. I was supported by everyone’s warm eyes.  After the lunch, I realized again how happy I am, because some teachers who I was taught before praised me and said like “It was nice speech, Mika. I am proud of you.” Also some students tell me their impressions about my talk even though we did not know each other. It made me so happy and I really appreciate everyone for their kindness. I will never forget the memorable time and their kindness.

Thank you very much.                                                                                 Mika Horikiri


Mika's (from Japan) Honor Roll Speech:
     
      Today, I’m so glad to be here with you, and I’m really appreciate my parents because without their support, I couldn’t be here and I couldn’t obtain the opportunity to give the speech.
       I’m sure that everyone in here had wonderful reasons why decide to come to UCR Extension. In my case, one of the reasons is my mother. Two years ago; when I got an acceptance to come here from my university, she said to me “You should go. You must go.” then I felt her love strongly, because I have just despaired at all of my life. At that time, my mother lost her job, I lost some of friends, and we were exposed to danger of nuclear disaster because of the Great East Japan Earthquake. Unfortunately, my hometown is close to the sea and nuclear power plant in Fukushima, Japan. Anyways, when she saw the acceptance, she said to me “You should go there, because you survived. You can do whatever you want.” Then, I got a capital, and after one year, finally I could come here not only to study English, but also to find some purpose in my life.
       Now, I have already found it. To enjoy my life as well as I can, and to show my gratitude to the people who have been supporting me. I should do my best every time because I don’t want to regret something in front of them, and I also want to do my best to be satisfied with my life. This quarter, I take EIB classes. Then, I’ve grown fond of business, even I felt inferior on the classes. I really like the time when I review of the lessons and try to follow it with my classmate afterschool. I know it is one of the memorable times for me.
       At first, I said thanks to my parents, and now, I want to say thank you everyone for your attention and giving me good opportunity to give a speech.
Thank you.                                                                                                      Mika Horikiri