Come join the International Education Programs!

Tuesday, May 14, 2013

My Coachella Experience


By Sam Yohm (Samantha Ortiz Meneses)

     Since I was 16 years old, I have always dreamt about attending Coachella, a music festival that takes place in Indio, CA.  As a teenager, I developed an enormous passion for concerts and music; I would try to attend every possible concert. However, attending Coachella was challenging because at that time I was living in Mexico City. For Mexican rock lovers, Coachella promises the ultimate experience in rock festivals; hence, my best friend and I wanted to attend. We entered a Facebook contest, but sadly we did not win. We tried every year for five years to go to Coachella, but something always came up and we could not make it. When I came to study at UCR, I was really excited because I knew Indio, CA was really close to Riverside; nevertheless, for the first two years living here I did not go. It wasn’t until this year, 2013, that I was finally able to attend Coachella Valley Music and Arts Festival. Unfortunately, my best friend could not come with me, but my dad did and it was such an awesome experience as well as an enriching father-daughter activity.     
     To be honest, I was not planning on attending Coachella since I have a medical condition known as rheumatoid arthritis, and it can be hard to keep up with a rock festival that lasts three days. However, I decided at the last moment that I wanted to go, and luckily I was able to buy a ticket. At first, I was going by myself but later on, one of my friends sold me a ticket for my dad. The first day of the concert, April 19th, I was a little bit nervous because I did not know what to expect. I thought it was going to be really crowed, hot, and with no benches where I could sit. Nonetheless, I was wrong; it was not that crowed or hot, and there were plenty of seats. I did not only get the chance to meet awesome and unique people, but I also got to see some of my favorite bands such as, The Stone Roses, New Order, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Passion Pit, Franz Ferdinand, and the Mexican band Café Tacvba. Even though I have had the chance to see some of these bands before, I was still very excited; especially for Café Tacvba since they are from my home country. During Coachella’s second day, April 20th, I saw Café Tacvba and to me they were the best band at Coachella. Is not like they are a universal rock legend or that I have not seen them before; it is just that being surrounded by all those Mexican crazy fans and singing along with my dad was a priceless experience.  Definitely, Coachella was an awe-inspiring experience and I am so glad I had the opportunity to go. I think it’s amazing how a rock festival can group such a big crowd in one place. Music is something that brings people together, and I love that. 
Pictures of Café Tacvba: