Come join the International Education Programs!

Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Spring Splash!



 My name is Rio Nakajima, international student from Japan currently studying marketing and advertising in University Certificate Program. I used to study English reading and writing in IEP 600 level 2 quarters ago. I like cruising with skateboard, bouldering, and swimming. It’s been 8 months since I came here in Riverside, even though it feels like only a couple months passed, and when I look back my life in UCR, concerts and events hosted by Associated Students Program Board are definitely highlights.

Basically except the summer quarter, ASPB is holding one big concert in UCR main campus each quarter. Block Party in fall, Heat Music Festival in winter, and Spring Splash for this quarter. I’ve been in all of those concerts and those are pretty cool stuff that you can never experience anywhere else. For the Spring Splash, which was held on May 4th, ASPB invited 2chainz and Rick Ross, two hottest rappers in the game to hold their performance. All the tickets were gone within less than a week and for me I had to wait in a long line for more than 2 hours just to get a ticket. I was able to purchase the ticket after all but most of my friends waiting behind me had to give up. Trust me, it was that competitive.

Let’s get back to the Spring Splash. After another an hour of waiting for an entrance, finally I could see whole attractions in Spring Splash. Well, I have to say this event was more than just a concert like Heat or Block Party in a sense of its variety of attractions. There was a Ferris Wheel, food tracks, and even a small-sized zoo too. I couldn’t try all of those unfortunately but enjoyed some of them. Especially that Ferris Wheel, Who’d ever imagined the carnival would be suddenly show up right in the middle of schoolyard.

Another thing that impressed me was the effort ASPB made for the environment. All those student staffs were trying not to make any waste and trash within this concert by offering free water refill and putting recycle box for plastic bottles and cans. This makes this event different from those other two concerts. There is a clear objection of ASPB to commit to the eco-friendly activity. At this point, Spring Splash is not just another concert but a theme park filled with youth energy and motivation to get things better. I’m so glad that I was there and I strongly recommend all the international students to get involved these kinds of events and activities. I bet none of them will waste your time and for sure they will bring more fun to your life in UCR.